Friday, November 30, 2007

30 Days, 30 Posts

When I was growing up, I remember my dad writing during breakfast. He'd have his 3-ring binder full of paper and a mechanical pencil and he'd scribble away while we all ate our toast and cereal. I know he still begins each day by writing. In the winter, he might be at it for hours, and my mom brings his oatmeal and tea upstairs to him. In the summer, when he's working in the fields, he just gets up early so he can have some journaling time each day.

It's a pretty amazing habit, don't you think?

One thing I've realized over the past month is that it's kinda fun to put some words on paper (er, screen) every day. Some stuff comes out that might not otherwise (exhibit A: the inadvisably titled 11/23 post), but I guess that's all part of it. Course, typing my thoughts into Blogger is about as far away from what my dad does
as two writing mediums could be. This is, after all, a man who still cannot type.

Although I make my living in the publishing industry, I'm not a writer like my dad. I don't feel compelled to write. I enjoy it; and I'm enjoying having this little outlet for it, but the sharing part of the blog is just as satisfying. I'm not sure what that says about me. I'm a narcissistic writer?

Anyway, it has been a good 30 days. I somehow managed to post each day -- meeting the challenge I'd set out for myself. It helped that all of our out-of-town travels were either one-night affairs or were to places where friends willingly provided laptops at 11 at night. I'll now probably be taking the weekend "off" and deal with things like putting away the last 2 weeks worth of clean laundry and trying to find all those Christmas gifts I've stashed away. These are good activities for what looks to be a snowy, sleety day tomorrow. But never fear! I'll be back...most likely with pictures. Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

Slomack said...

don't leave us! I know finding the time to write every day can be overwhelming--especially with the busy life you have! And while I welcome the pictures (you know I love 'em!), I have really enjoyed reading your musings this past month.

You may not feel compelled to write, but you are, nonetheless, a writer. And a damned good one at that.

And I say that not as your best friend, but as a reader. (And you KNOW how much I read!).

Stacy said...

I'm really impressed. I don't think there's any one kind of writer. I think you're a fabulous writer and have a natural charm with words.

Keep it up. I'll be checking...

AndreaK said...

I missed a few days last month and I just let it go, I posted more than I have ever in the past and while it was nice to have it hanging out there as a 'chore' of sorts...it can be tiresome as well. I say make a habit of it, to document all the small things in life we forget with time. But not a chore. :) I'm glad I'm finally checking you out.

Hettie said...

Aw, thanks, guys. Don't worry, I'll keep blogging. I think I'm "addicted" now. I'll admit, I did almost post yesterday, just because I'm so used to doing it. Had some wine and watched a football game instead. (Darn!)

And, I actually do think I'm a writer, just very different than my dad. But, that's OK, because sometimes I think he could use a good editor :)

Unknown said...

I heard about this thing called "morning papers" you write for like 10 minutes every morning and never look at it again - I could never do it, I re read A LOT