Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Moo Moo Mizzou


I really don't follow college football. I usually know whether Wisconsin is having a good year (only so-so this year, right?) but beyond that, I don't know much.

But then, my alma mater went and had a great season. So I kinda kept my ear to the ground for word about them. Beat Illinois, tromped Nebraska, lost to Oklahoma, beat No. 2 Kansas and wow, suddenly they're the No. 1 team in the country. My school...with a shot at the national championship. The little town of Columbia must be absolutely BUZZING right now.

I don't know why, as an alum who didn't really follow Missouri football when I was a student, I'm so excited about this. I guess it's my chance to reminisce about my college years, chat with co-workers who are fellow alums, and just be part of a big group something.

Course, making the whole scenario more interesting is the fact that the team Missouri plays this weekend -- the team they have to beat to have a shot at the national championship -- is Oklahoma. Not only is OU the one team they've lost to this year, it's also the former school of a good friend and co-worker, who actually IS a big football fan. So, I'm sorry Stacy, but I have to say, Go Mizzou!

(By the way, Moo Moo Mizzou was on a t-shirt I bought 15 years ago during my first year at the school. At the time, I thought it was the perfect bridge between Wisconsin and Missouri...but I still don't get what it's supposed to mean.)

3 comments:

Stacy said...

That is a weird shirt? Do you still have it? I think you should bust it out this week.

Too bad the game is a late one. I was thinking it would be fun to get together for it, but poor Nora would crash.

-From the Sooners girl!

Hettie said...

Yah, even weirder was that it was purple and green (as opposed to the school colors of black and yellow) with a big cow on it.

ja'far said...

I think i owned the same shirt like 10 years ago....my uncle gave it to me (no connection to missouri) and when i think back on it now, the shirt made no sense.