Friday, December 21, 2007

Time Marches On

So, I went looking in our old digital photos for a picture of Nora from last year so I could compare and see how much she has grown. Instead, I clicked on "Christmas 2005" and was surprised at how young Owen looked.

Yes, I know it was a whole 2 years ago, but still, I sometimes forget about the stumpy legs and pudgy cheeks. For comparison, here he is this Christmas in the same chair at his grandma's. I think the thing that struck me most (other than my apparent penchant for red plaid shirts for the holidays) was how in the first picture his legs stick straight out on the seat, and this year, the chair fits him just fine.

And here's Nora from last year, back when she wasn't crawling or talking or copping an attitude and subsisted entirely on breastmilk and pureed fruits and vegetables.


This year, she was Annie Oakley...on a cow.

So now I'm just another parent bemoaning how quickly the years go by. I guess this is a common refrain because kids offer such an obvious gauge to measure the passage of time -- more noticeable than creakier knees or new wrinkles. And who wouldn't rather watch kids grow than fret about crow's feet?

1 comment:

Stacy said...

And then they get old enough where they just want to get to the holiday destination so they can play with the other kids. We go from watching their every move, afraid they'll break something, to watching them think they don't need us at all. Weird. Happy holidays!