Monday, March 3, 2008

In Defense of March

This morning, as rain turned to sleet turned to snow outside my window, I felt the need to come to the defense of March. This month that is the transition, for those of us in the Midwest, between winter and spring. In like a lion, out like a lamb, as they say. Though our driveway could have doubled as an ice rink today, I was glad for the sound of rain sprinting down the gutters, for the shrinking snow piles, and yes, even for the now faceless snowmen in the front yard.

March is one of my favorite months. That shouldn't be surprising, really, since it's also my birthday month. But there are other reasons.

It's the month of baseball's return to the radio.

It's spring break and Guinness on St. Patrick's Day.

It's the start of spring, officially, at least.

It's the month where the occasional 50-degree day feels like summer.

It's when Trivia preparation really swings into action.

It's the month I became a mother, to an almost 5-year-old boy who's absolutely wonderful and frustrating all at the same time.

March is a preview. March is hope and anticipation. March is unpredictable. And I love it.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

You are a fan of March. I'm so jealous. I got nothing fun to say about my birthday month.

Hettie said...

Oh come on! January, right? It's the month of warm-weather vacations, post-Christmas relaxing and beautiful snows. Plus, ya gotta love the letter "J" :)

Stacy said...

When I was a little girl, my birthday parties were canceled several times because of freak snowstorms. And everyone is so worn out from the holidays that there's not much celebrating this month. You definitely have the rose-colored glasses, though. I want to get me some of that!