Sunday, January 4, 2009

The One with a List

A few of my favorite things from Christmas break:

1. Sleeping in. Oh, man, it was so great to sleep until I naturally woke up. Even the kids were sleeping in. I'm not looking forward to the sound of an alarm clock tomorrow morning.

2. My pot rack. This was one of my Christmas presents, something I'd specifically asked for. I'm already loving not having to take all the stacked pots or pans out of the cupboard just to get at one. And I've gained some new space, too. Thanks, honey!

3. Owen learning how to draw a star. He was making a simple asterisk-like star, so I showed him how to make a star using that five-line method we probably all learned as kids. He watched me do it a few times, then was able to do it himself. He's already a better artist than me. We were both drawing dogs earlier today and he made fun of mine, saying it looked like a cat. And it kinda did.

4. Swimming. Spending a couple nights in a hotel meant multiple visits to the pool. Someday, I hope to get back to a gym and in a pool on a regular basis. Being in the water just makes me feel good.

5. Nora learning that "poopy" is the magic funny word for Owen.

6. Owen playing with our cat, Philo. We made a string toy on a stick and he would laugh and laugh as Philo attacked it.

7. Seeing two movies (Valkyrie and Bolt). Even though they weren't the two I really want to see (that would be Milk and Slumdog Millionaire...and Happy Go Lucky, if we're lucky), we have to take babysitters when and where we can, or take the kids with us.

8. That both kids really liked their Christmas presents. I was a little worried that giving Owen a box of paper, Post-its and markers might underwhelm him, but he was pleased as punch.

9. Wine. I'm finishing off last night's bottle right now.

10. Just having the time off. I know I'm lucky to have had two weeks off, and though I don't feel ready to go back to work (do you ever feel ready?), I do feel like I've had a good vacation.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Yep, #10 is a good reminder. Even when we're not ready to go back, it's nice that we had the time off in the first place.