Saturday, February 9, 2008

Family Portrait

On Thursday, when Jon picked up Owen from school, he was finishing up this masterpiece.

He was excited to explain the details to us -- like how he added snowflakes everywhere and that the 100s mean we've all read 100 books.

Meanwhile, I look at it and think, this is the first "family picture" he has ever drawn. I've always wondered how my kids would one day represent their lives on paper. In after school specials, the artwork usually expresses some dark, dirty secret about how Mommy's an alcoholic or Daddy can't read. But there we are, surrounded by snowflakes (and apparently quite literate) and we even have the right color hair.

I also can't believe he's drawing this well. A few short months ago, he had just started to draw smiley faces, and now there are bodies and clothes and ears, for crying out loud. He did point out two inaccuracies to me later -- smirking that "Nora isn't really as tall as daddy, is she?" and "we don't have heart-shaped faces, do we?"

Oh, and in case you're wondering about why I'm Mom and Jon is Jon...Owen is always insisting that my name is too long. He'll happily write the others, and even Philo (our cat), but he tends to peter out on mine somewhere around the second H. This is the same kid who can spell Halloween.





2 comments:

Amy said...

I was totally cracking up when I saw it said Mommy and Jon. He is too funny!

Jack has just started yelling "JOSH" up the stairs when he wants Josh to come down. It sounds eerily like the inflection I use when doing the same thing!

Stacy said...

What a great picture. Do you think we could hire him out to do a family portrait for us?